D seems interesting, but...

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Oct 14 22:07:15 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:45:16AM +0200, Gerry Weaver wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately, I don't. This is a special dev system I setup for a
> customer project. They have several 32bit only apps that force the
> 32bit requirement. Actually, I would be using D on 64bit anyway. I
> just happened to be working on this particular system when I decided
> to check out the latest D package. I will try the 64bit package. In
> the mean time, I would be more than happy to gather any information
> that would help.
[...]

Hmm. I just tested it on a 32-bit Debian system, using the package from
the exact URL you gave, and I didn't see any problems. So I'm wondering
if somehow dmd is picking up the wrong version of Phobos somehow, maybe
a stale copy somewhere? Maybe a stale /etc/dmd.conf that pointed to the
wrong version of the library?

(Debian/Ubuntu packages generally do not overwrite modified
configuration files upon installation -- so if there is an old dmd.conf
there that has been modified in the past, it will have stayed unchanged
when you installed the new dmd.  Check if there's a file called
/etc/dmd.conf.dpkg-new; if there is, rename it to /etc/dmd.conf and see
if that fixes the problem.)

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.