D seems interesting, but...

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Sun Oct 14 22:14:42 PDT 2012

On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 05:05:17 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:45:16AM +0200, Gerry Weaver wrote:
> [...]
>> Unfortunately, I don't. This is a special dev system I setup
>> for a
>> customer project. They have several 32bit only apps that force
>> the
>> 32bit requirement. Actually, I would be using D on 64bit
>> anyway. I
>> just happened to be working on this particular system when I
>> decided
>> to check out the latest D package. I will try the 64bit
>> package. In
>> the mean time, I would be more than happy to gather any
>> information
>> that would help.
> [...]
>
> Hmm. I just tested it on a 32-bit Debian system, using the
> package from
> the exact URL you gave, and I didn't see any problems. So I'm
> wondering
> if somehow dmd is picking up the wrong version of Phobos
> somehow, maybe
> a stale copy somewhere? Maybe a stale /etc/dmd.conf that
> pointed to the
> wrong version of the library?
>
> (Debian/Ubuntu packages generally do not overwrite modified
> configuration files upon installation -- so if there is an old
> dmd.conf
> there that has been modified in the past, it will have stayed
> unchanged
> when you installed the new dmd.  Check if there's a file called
> /etc/dmd.conf.dpkg-new; if there is, rename it to /etc/dmd.conf
> and see
> if that fixes the problem.)

Hi,

I checked it out. There is only a dmd.conf. I've included it
below.

;
; dmd.conf file for dmd
;
; dmd will look for dmd.conf in the following sequence of
directories:
;   - current working directory
;   - directory specified by the HOME environment variable
;   - directory dmd resides in
;   - /etc directory
;
; Names enclosed by %% are searched for in the existing
environment and inserted
;
; The special name %@P% is replaced with the path to this file
;

[Environment]

DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dmd/phobos
-I/usr/include/dmd/druntime/import -L-L/usr/lib
/i386-linux-gnu -L-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L--no-warn-search-mismatch -L--ex
port-dynamic

Thanks,
-G