D seems interesting, but...

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 05:25:02 PDT 2012

On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 03:10:59 UTC, Gerry Weaver wrote:
>  I install the latest package and try to build "Hello World".

I've always used the .zip and found it to be the easiest way (and
btw, don't follow the terrible installation instructions, just
unzip it and use right out of the box).

$ wget blah/dmd.version.zip
$ unzip dmd.version.zip
$ dmd2/src/linux32/bin/dmd hello.d

You can of course also add that to your $PATH or use a wrapper
script or whatever so you can refer to it easier.

That has consistently worked for me for many years. You can
install it in /opt or in your own $HOME (my preference, so I
don't even have to bother with root).