48 hour game jam

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:01:17 PDT 2012

On 15 October 2012 17:02, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> Manu:
>

>  We did a 48hr game jam at work this past weekend. We
>> decided to do our entry in D, to further prove that D was
>> a viable and productive solution for real-world game dev.
>>

> And how did D do?

Well actually.
It was my team-mates first D code. He was interested, read some stuff,
never actually wrote any code.
We actually took quite tangible benefits from using D for this one. We
actually used the class factory (!), I didn't think I'd ever use that ;)
Also used a convenient C# style event system, trivial to implement in D.
But mainly it's all the little things, conveniences that add up and make
the experience more enjoyable.

That said, the code probably isn't particularly idiomatic D code. That's to
be expected from new comers I suppose, bringing the conventions of their
languages to the table, but it's also a great thing in terms of adoption
potential, people can ween themselves in slowly. It's not an all or nothing
switch.