D seems interesting, but...

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Oct 15 11:05:13 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:51:59PM +0200, Gerry Weaver wrote:
> On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 17:36:10 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
[...]
> >That is the most plausible reason so far: The OP has an empty file in
> >the current directory but the hello.d that is being edited in Emacs
> >is elsewhere. :)
> >
> >Ali
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been looking into this. I'm afraid it isn't that simple. I
> just created the file with vi in the same directory I was trying to
> compile it in. I can cat it etc., so I know the text is there. I
> have even reproduced the issue on a different partition etc.. I'm
> starting to think that some other package that is installed on this
> particular system may be the source of the problem. I can't
> reproduce the issue on another install of the same OS, version,
> etc.. I went ahead and installed the .deb package on the new system
> and it still works.
[...]

Yeah, it seems to be a very system-specific problem. I'd like to get to
bottom of it if I could, as it piques my curiosity (plus it would be
nice to prevent somebody else from running into the same problem in the
future), but then I don't really want to waste your time hunting down an
obscure problem if you already have a working dmd by some other means.

The computer is only a tool. Unfortunately, so is the user. -- Armaphine, K5