D seems interesting, but...

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Mon Oct 15 11:46:21 PDT 2012

On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 18:03:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:51:59PM +0200, Gerry Weaver wrote:
>> On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 17:36:10 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> [...]
>> >That is the most plausible reason so far: The OP has an empty
>> >file in
>> >the current directory but the hello.d that is being edited in
>> >Emacs
>> >is elsewhere. :)
>> >
>> >Ali
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been looking into this. I'm afraid it isn't that
>> simple. I
>> just created the file with vi in the same directory I was
>> trying to
>> compile it in. I can cat it etc., so I know the text is there.
>> have even reproduced the issue on a different partition etc..
>> I'm
>> starting to think that some other package that is installed on
>> this
>> particular system may be the source of the problem. I can't
>> reproduce the issue on another install of the same OS, version,
>> etc.. I went ahead and installed the .deb package on the new
>> system
>> and it still works.
> [...]
>
> Yeah, it seems to be a very system-specific problem. I'd like
> to get to
> bottom of it if I could, as it piques my curiosity (plus it
> would be
> nice to prevent somebody else from running into the same
> problem in the
> future), but then I don't really want to waste your time
> hunting down an
> obscure problem if you already have a working dmd by some other
> means.

Hi,

It just occurred to me that I've seen this type of file issue
before. If memory serves, it was related to the attempt to load a
64bit lib on a 32bit system. It was an odd problem, because it
didn't fail in the way one would expect. The process in that case
was reading garbage from memory. I don't get how it could be
reading nothing though. Anyway, I'm going to look into this
possibility. I found some notes that I made during that time and
it does have a similar feel to it. I'll let y'all know what I
find.

Thanks,
-G