D seems interesting, but...

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Mon Oct 15 12:36:06 PDT 2012

On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 18:46:22 UTC, Gerry Weaver wrote:
> On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 18:03:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:51:59PM +0200, Gerry Weaver wrote:
>>> On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 17:36:10 UTC, Ali Çehreli
>>> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been looking into this. I'm afraid it isn't that
>>> simple. I
>>> just created the file with vi in the same directory I was
>>> trying to
>>> compile it in. I can cat it etc., so I know the text is
>>> there. I
>>> have even reproduced the issue on a different partition etc..
>>> I'm
>>> starting to think that some other package that is installed
>>> on this
>>> particular system may be the source of the problem. I can't
>>> reproduce the issue on another install of the same OS,
>>> version,
>>> etc.. I went ahead and installed the .deb package on the new
>>> system
>>> and it still works.
>> [...]
>>
>> Yeah, it seems to be a very system-specific problem. I'd like
>> to get to
>> bottom of it if I could, as it piques my curiosity (plus it
>> would be
>> nice to prevent somebody else from running into the same
>> problem in the
>> future), but then I don't really want to waste your time
>> hunting down an
>> obscure problem if you already have a working dmd by some
>> other means.

> Hi,
>

> It just occurred to me that I've seen this type of file issue
> before. If memory serves, it was related to the attempt to load
> a 64bit lib on a 32bit system. It was an odd problem, because
> it didn't fail in the way one would expect. The process in that
> case was reading garbage from memory. I don't get how it could
> be reading nothing though. Anyway, I'm going to look into this
> possibility. I found some notes that I made during that time
> and it does have a similar feel to it. I'll let y'all know what
> I find.
>
> Thanks,
> -G

Hmm.. It doesn't seem likely that these problems are related. The
issue I remembered involved a series of program errors that
started with the improper handling of a dlopen. It is almost
impossible that dmd could be reproducing this situation.

Thanks,
-G