D seems interesting, but...

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 15 13:12:01 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> Well there's a tension here: good language design generally
> aims at providing few general features applicable to many use
> cases. Encoding particular use cases in the language is
> warranted by either disproportionate frequency in use or
> disproportionate difficulty in implementing them within the
> language. I don't think this particular feature scores very
> highly in either category.

It's a feature that I use about in every Python module/package
I've written, and it's about as equally used in code you see in
Python repositories. So it's a common need in Python. I'm asking
for it for more than three years or so.

And regarding the implementation my "hack" means having a single
compile-time constant (plus a switch to be used when you want
partial compilation?). Better designs are possible, but it's a
matter of how much you want to work for it.

Bye,
bearophile