48 hour game jam

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Oct 15 15:47:16 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:34:44AM +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 22:14:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> >It *is* a pretty crazy idea to prohibit STL, seeing as STL is what
> >makes writing container-related C++ code bearable. I have horrible
> >memories of the Bad Old Days when I must've reinvented linked lists
> >at least 20 times, just because STL didn't exist in those days.
> >
> >When templates first came out, I was elated that finally I didn't
> >have to implement Yet Another Linked List. Perhaps it took that kind
> >of experience to appreciate templates. :-) People who didn't have to
> >suffer through these kinds of limitations often don't appreciate what
> >templates offer. (And that's C++ templates, with all their warts, not
> >even speaking about D templates -- which are on a whole 'nother
> >level.)
[...]
> You should talk with the Go guys which seem to be happy re-inventing
> the type of tools we used in C++, back in the days templates were
> still not available, somewhere around 1993 in my case.

On the contrary, I should shut up and let them spend their time
reinventing the wheel, while D moves forward to wider adoption. ;-)

> Does anyone remember the pre-processor hacks from Borland C++?
[...]

I remember Borland C++, yes... but I don't recall what preprocessor
hacks were there.

For every argument for something, there is always an equal and opposite
argument against it. Debates don't give answers, only wounded or
inflated egos.