D seems interesting, but...

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 15 15:45:27 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> I don't think that compares apples to apples, as the entire
> feature combination present into either language must be taken
> into account.

I agree that features must take in account the specific ecology
of the other features of a language. And I agree the problem I am
discussing about refers to the idea of "main module" that is
currently ill defined in D (but I think it should be defined).

But the point is, I am desiring to solve this problem since years
in D, so far I have written tons of lines of D1/D2 code, and I
have not found a good solution.

> I think for someone coming from Python, something akin to
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     main()
>
> makes good sense. In my opinion that's not a design we should
> copy.

I have suggested that solution just because I know it, and
because it's probably easy to implement (once the idea of main
module is defined). But I agree there are surely better designs
to solve this problem. But some solution is desired, that
Python-style solution is better than the current D situation :-)
Currently I usually solve that problem wrapping the main in
"static if (modulename_main)" and I compile with that version.

Bye,
bearophile