Import improvement

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 04:53:45 PDT 2012

On 16 October 2012 11:22, Sönke Ludwig <sludwig at outerproduct.org> wrote:

> > O_O .. That might be one of the worst things I've ever seen!
> > It doesn't even make sense. Is there actually a vibe.d file? And why try
> > to make the import statement look like a source filename?
>
> Strong words aside, let me tell you that the "vibe.d" import is just a
> small convenience for quick projects, so that you don't have to write
> yuor own main() function - something that in general appeals to quite a
> few people when using web frameworks in dynamic languages.
>
> In this context it was just a funny idea to name it like this (named
> after the project, not to make it look like a file, of course) and make
> it a kind of unique trait. However, this is by no means a pattern. The
> module that imports everything is "vibe.vibe".

What's wrong with the reasonably established '_' module though? Trying to
make it appear like a source filename is a deception. That may confuse the
programmer.
That said, I didn't realise the project incorporated '.d' in the project
name. I was under the impression it was being carried to other projects too
that may not share the same naming pun.