Import improvement

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Tue Oct 16 07:14:08 PDT 2012

Am 10/16/2012 3:11 PM, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> On 2012-10-16 14:36, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>
>> But speaking of '_' (and I have to admit that I didn't look at that many
>> projects) - I've never seen that in the wild. And (IMO) "import
>> something._" also looks quite awkward and non-self-explanatory, much
>> more than either "something.all", "something.*" or
>> "something.something". Making it just into "import somthing;" with some
>> compiler support would of course change the game.
>
> "import something;", how would you know if it's a module or a package? I
> really would like to be able to use "import something.*" but the
> compiler doesn't support it, so .all/._ is the best we can do for now.

The compiler has to walk the directory structure anyway. If it stops at
a directory, it looks for _.d/package.d/... and uses that.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP16

It would definitely be good to have a decistion if the compiler will
support it at some point to not start naming all those modules all.d
only to dicover later that the compiler wants to have _.d.