make install; where do .di files go?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:42:25 PDT 2012

On 17 October 2012 18:39, Jordi Sayol <g.sayol at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Al 17/10/12 14:03, En/na Manu ha escrit:
> >
> > why include/d2? include/d/ seems much better... what are the chances a
> library have both a d1 and d2 version which may conflict in include/d?
> >

> A practical example:
> Imagine that you installs the libray "foo" for D, and places the sources
> at "/usr/include/d/foo" directory, *so you need to add "-I/usr/include/d"
> as compiler argument*.

No, I don't need to add it as an argument, that's the point.

In Debian/Ubuntu there is the "libtango-headers" package, which install,
> among others, "/usr/include/d/object.di". This Tango "object.di" breaks d2,
> so you will not be able to compile anything with the "-I/usr/include/d"
> argument, and so, you cannot compile against your "foo" library.
>
> The problem here is that the "libtango-headers" maintainer decided to
> place "object.di" directly into "/usr/include/d", overriding to use this
> directory for any other D compiler/version.

Okay, so the problem is that an existing package has already declared that
directory to be a standard location. so then include/d2/ then... I guess.
Although that seems sad; D shouldn't identify its self as the second coming
of D, since that basically implies that the first coming was a failure.