Regarding hex strings

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 18 13:50:27 PDT 2012

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 21:09:14 Kagamin wrote:
> Your keyboard doesn't have ready unicode values for all
> characters either.

So? That doesn't make it so that it's not valuable to be able to input the
values in hexidecimal instead of as actual unicode characters. Heck, if you
want a specific character, I wouldn't trust copying the characters anyway,
because it's far too easy to have two characters which look really similar but
are different (e.g. there are multiple types of angle brackets in unicode),
whereas with the numbers you can be sure. And with some characters (e.g.
unicode whitespace characters), it generally doesn't make sense to enter the
characters directly.

Regardless, my point is that both approaches can be useful, so it's good to be
able to do both. If you prefer to put the unicode characters in directly, then
do that, but others may prefer the other way. Personally, I've done both.

- Jonathan M Davis