Regarding hex strings

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 18 21:03:01 PDT 2012

On Friday, October 19, 2012 05:14:44 Marco Leise wrote:
> Hehe, I assume most of the regulars know this: DMD used to
> use a garbage collector that is disabled.

Yes, but it didn't use it for long, because it made performance worse, and
Walter didn't have the time to spend fixing it, so it was disabled. Presumably,
someone will take the time to improve it at some point and then it will be re-
enabled.

> Memory just isn't freed!

That was my understanding, but the last time that I said that, Brad Roberts
said that it wasn't true, and that we should stop spreading that FUD, so I
don't know what the exact situation is, but it sounds like if that was true in
the past, it's not true now. Regardless, it's clear that dmd still uses too
much memory in many cases, especially when code uses a lot of templates or
CTFE.

- Jonathan M Davis