Regarding hex strings

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Oct 18 22:29:46 PDT 2012

Am Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:03:01 -0700
schrieb Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>:

> On Friday, October 19, 2012 05:14:44 Marco Leise wrote:
> > Memory just isn't freed!
>
> That was my understanding, but the last time that I said that, Brad Roberts
> said that it wasn't true, and that we should stop spreading that FUD, so I
> don't know what the exact situation is, but it sounds like if that was true in
> the past, it's not true now. Regardless, it's clear that dmd still uses too
> much memory in many cases, especially when code uses a lot of templates or
> CTFE.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

He called it a FUD? Without trying to sound too patronizing, most D
programmers would really only notice DMD's memory footprint
when they use CTFE features. It is always Pegged, ctRegex, etc.
that make the issue come up, never basic code. And preloading
the Boehm collector showed that gigabytes of CTFE memory usage
can still be brought down to a few hundred MB [citation
needed]. I guess we can meet somewhere in the middle. Btw. did
I mix up Don and Brad in the last post ? Who is working on the
memory management ?

--
Marco