Regarding hex strings

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 18 23:04:05 PDT 2012

On Friday, October 19, 2012 07:29:46 Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:03:01 -0700
>
> schrieb Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>:
> > On Friday, October 19, 2012 05:14:44 Marco Leise wrote:
> > > Memory just isn't freed!
> >
> > That was my understanding, but the last time that I said that, Brad
> > Roberts
> > said that it wasn't true, and that we should stop spreading that FUD, so I
> > don't know what the exact situation is, but it sounds like if that was
> > true in the past, it's not true now. Regardless, it's clear that dmd
> > still uses too much memory in many cases, especially when code uses a lot
> > of templates or CTFE.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> He called it a FUD?

I don't think that he used quite that term, but his point was that I shouldn't
be saying that, because it wasn't true, and so I was spreading incorrect
information (that and the fact that he was tired of people spreading that
incorrect information, IIRC). I can't find the exact post at the moment though.

> I guess we can meet somewhere in the middle. Btw. did
> I mix up Don and Brad in the last post ? Who is working on the
> memory management ?

I don't think that you mixed anyone up. Don works primarily on CTFE. Brad
works primarily on the auto tester and other infrastructure required for the
dmd/Phobos folks to do what they do.

- Jonathan M Davis