SCons and gdc

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 12:15:13 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 11:23 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[…]
> Hmm. How does it determine which tool to use? I currently have gdc on a
> non-standard path, so my environment looks like:
>
> 	env = Environment(
> 		DC = '/usr/src/d/gdcroot/bin/gdc',
> 		DFLAGS = ['-O', '-g', '-funittest']
> 	)
>
> But it is still using dmd-style options on the command line. Is there
> some other setting that I need to put in to specifically tell it to use
> the GDC tool?

There are now three tools: dmd, gdc, and ldc. Currently with the above
it looks like you are using the dmd tool and replacing the dmd with gdc.

There is not yet a d tool which tries a specific sequence according to
some priority.  I couldn't decide on a Windows/OS X/Linux best priority
order for DMD, GDC and LDC so I ran away form trying to implement it.
This needs doing.

[…]
> I've managed to build the gcc-4.7 git branch of GDC, which supports
> 2.059 (at least), so I've been able to test it on my newer code which
> uses some new Phobos features introduced in 2.059. I might try GDC's git
> master with gcc-4.8 sometime, now that I figured out how to make things
> work on my machine (GCC's build system is extremely fragile and a
> nightmare to debug when something goes wrong) -- it should support
> 2.060.

I build LDC from it's repository, but I have not tried this approach
with GCC and hence GDC. I guess I am waiting for GDC to be in GCC 4.8
and for that to be in Debian and/or Fedora.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk