SCons and gdc

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Oct 22 12:54:32 PDT 2012

On 10/22/2012 09:41 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I've managed to build git GDC on Debian unstable (64-bit), and have just
> added the instructions to:
>
> 	http://gdcproject.org/wiki/Installation
>
> I used the gdc-4.7 branch of GDC git, which unfortunately has a bug in
> the update-gcc.sh script, so your best bet is to checkout my fixed fork:
>
> 	https://github.com/quickfur/GDC/tree/gdc-4.7-update-fix

Oh, cool.  Thanks for that.  I will have a go some time in the next days and
report back how it goes.

> If you want, I can send you the build script I have, that contains all
> the commands (well, hopefully all) to unpack, patch, and build the
> Debian GCC sources (patched with GDC, of course). If all goes well, it
> should provide you with a working GDC. :)

I'll give it a go with your branch first (or hopefully, with an update that has
it merged in) and get back to you if I run into trouble.

Just a query -- the Raspberry Pi instructions have some notes on tweaking the
Debian patch script -- did you have to do this, or did you just leave it as-is?

> This is only the gdc-4.7 branch, though; git master isn't building on my
> system because the gcc build script mistakes Walter's pathological
> naming of C++ source files with a .c extension for actual C code, which
> causes it to invoke the wrong compiler and produce reams and reams of
> compile errors before dying miserably. I'm still trying to figure out
> how to fix this.

I take it Walter is resistant to a rename for the frontend source files? :-\

Thanks again and best wishes,

      -- Joe