SCons and gdc

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Mon Oct 22 12:53:40 PDT 2012

On 22-10-2012 21:41, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 09:15:01PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> On 10/22/2012 08:14 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>>> It is, and has been for months.
>>
>> The upstream source is up to date, but there are no packaged
>> versions that I'm aware of and building it from source on a
>> Debian/Ubuntu system has proven somewhat tricky (not just for me,
>> see current d.gnu discussion).
>>
>> Not demanding a solution, just saying. :-)
>
> I've managed to build git GDC on Debian unstable (64-bit), and have just
> added the instructions to:
>
> 	http://gdcproject.org/wiki/Installation
>
> I used the gdc-4.7 branch of GDC git, which unfortunately has a bug in
> the update-gcc.sh script, so your best bet is to checkout my fixed fork:
>
> 	https://github.com/quickfur/GDC/tree/gdc-4.7-update-fix
>
> I've submitted a pull request for the fork, but that was only today, so
> it probably won't get committed until a bit later.
>
> If you want, I can send you the build script I have, that contains all
> the commands (well, hopefully all) to unpack, patch, and build the
> Debian GCC sources (patched with GDC, of course). If all goes well, it
> should provide you with a working GDC. :)
>
> This is only the gdc-4.7 branch, though; git master isn't building on my
> system because the gcc build script mistakes Walter's pathological
> naming of C++ source files with a .c extension for actual C code, which
> causes it to invoke the wrong compiler and produce reams and reams of
> compile errors before dying miserably. I'm still trying to figure out
> how to fix this.

Might want to poke Iain about this. Sounds like a missing -x c++.

> (P.S. GCC's build system seriously needs a major overhaul. It's
> extremely fragile and completely unfriendly when it comes to telling you
> what the problem is when it fails. The error message is often faaaar
> away from the real source of the problem, and often has no indication
> whatsoever as to what the nature of the real problem is. I spent at
> least 2 whole days fighting with it before I figured out how to pacify
> it enough for the build to succeed. I wouldn't wish this experience on
> anyone.)

Unfortunately, one does not simply "overhaul" the GCC build system. It
consists of thousands upon thousands of lines of logic to configure,
build, and test GCC for all sorts of obscure scenarios (have you ever
done a Canadian cross build of GCC?), most of which other build systems
couldn't possibly get right.

Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org
http://lycus.org