SCons and gdc

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Oct 23 01:56:21 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 12:54 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[…]
> Does it use the dmd tool by default? How do I select the gdc tool
> instead? I tried env.Append(tools = 'gdc') but it didn't make any
> difference.

I will have to check what the default tool is, in the case where
multiple valid D toolchains are installed, there may be a problem there.

environment = Environment(tools=['gcc', 'gnulink', 'gdc'])

is known to work. There are issues here that we are trying to fix
relating to how C, C++, Fortran and D all interwork. An upshot of the
problem is that, for now, the gdc tool must come last in the
sequence. :-(( I know, but…

[…]
> If there's an easy way to select which tool to use, then it's good
> enough for me. Having a tool that tries to guess what you want usually
> ends up doing the wrong thing, especially since I have both compilers
> installed and often switch between them in different projects for
> testing, comparison, profiling, etc., purposes.

See above :-)

[…]
> I'm going to take a shot at building a .deb for the latest git gdc-4.7
> branch, which AFAIK should support at least 2.059 (and maybe 2.060?).
> It's probably non-trivial, as the debian gcc build scripts are a tangled
> labyrinth I've yet to unravel. :)

You can certainly put me on the list of people to test such a thing.

My only need is that it must be harmonious with the Debian Unstable
install so that it can be installed and uninstalled without disrupting
the standard Debian 4.7.

Thanks.
--
Russel.