SCons and gdc

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 23 12:48:35 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 09:56:21AM +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 12:54 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> […]
> > Does it use the dmd tool by default? How do I select the gdc tool
> > instead? I tried env.Append(tools = 'gdc') but it didn't make any
> > difference.
>
> I will have to check what the default tool is, in the case where
> multiple valid D toolchains are installed, there may be a problem
> there.
>
> environment = Environment(tools=['gcc', 'gnulink', 'gdc'])
>
> is known to work.

That worked wonders. Thanks!!

> There are issues here that we are trying to fix relating to how C,
> C++, Fortran and D all interwork. An upshot of the problem is that,
> for now, the gdc tool must come last in the sequence. :-(( I know,
> but…

Well, in my case, neither dmd nor gdc are in $PATH, but I specified the
full path in DC. Is there a way to have SCons notice the last component
in the path (the compiler name) and adjust accordingly?

[...]
> > I'm going to take a shot at building a .deb for the latest git
> > gdc-4.7 branch, which AFAIK should support at least 2.059 (and maybe
> > 2.060?).  It's probably non-trivial, as the debian gcc build scripts
> > are a tangled labyrinth I've yet to unravel. :)
>
> You can certainly put me on the list of people to test such a thing.
>
> My only need is that it must be harmonious with the Debian Unstable
> install so that it can be installed and uninstalled without disrupting
> the standard Debian 4.7.
[...]

I'm using Debian unstable as well, so I'll try my best to make sure the
package is non-disruptive.

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.