Make [was Re: SCons and gdc]

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 23 14:58:53 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:35:29PM +0200, Rob T wrote:
[...]
> Currently I am trying very hard to get rid of Make, really I don't
> have much choice because AFAIK there's no easy way to get a useful
> dependency list out of gdc or dmd that can be used with Make. There
> is an option to produce a dependency list, but the output seems to
> be useless because it does not include full path for some of the
> dependecies, and the format is wrong to boot (needs Make to run an
> editor to clean up), and cgd 4.7 has a bug with producing the output
> rendering it totally useless (I'll try and report this bug on the
> tracker, now that I have an account).

SCons can figure out the dependencies without needing to be told
explicitly. That is, if it's working correctly. Currently I do have
multi-file D projects, but they haven't grown into multi-folder projects
yet, so admittedly I don't have too much experience in that area.

> Given the significant problems I'm experiencing, I really wonder how
> anyone is building anything of significance in D? Since it appears
> that significant apps are being built, I figure I'm trying to do
> things in a C/C++ way when I am expected to do things in a different
> "D way".
[...]

Well, dmd tends to work best when given the full list of D files, as
opposed to the C/C++ custom of per-file compilation. (It's also faster
that way---significantly so.) The -op flag is your friend when it comes
to using dmd with multi-folder projects.

And I just tried: gdc works with multiple files too. I'm not sure how
well it handles a full list of D files, though, if some of those files
may not necessarily be real dependencies.

If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. -- Software disclaimer notice