On D development

Robert Klotzner jfanatiker at gmx.at
Wed Oct 24 03:24:15 PDT 2012

Simply don't release a new stable version with new features, semantics,
but first release an experimental version. Encourage people to compile
their code with it, try out the new features/semantics, ... but always
let them keep in mind, that things can break with further improvements.
The idea is that features in an experimental release can be changed at
any time without having to worry about breaking users code, because they
expect it. It seems to me that until now things are just discussed very
thoroughly, implemented and released. If this is really the case, then I
guess the only reason this works so surprisingly well is because the
people (Andrei, Walter, ...) are amazingly smart and have learned from
the mistakes of other languages. But introducing a (limited) way of
learning from own mistakes without breaking things, might be useful
especially for new concepts not found in other languages.

I don't see how this complicates the compiler?

People could choose between using the experimental version for the
awesome feature xy and taking the risk of fixing code with incompatible
changes or stick with the stable version.

Robert