On D development

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 24 14:21:53 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> That fosters balkanization.
>
> At this point in D's evolution I very strongly think it's the
> time to put to good use its many features, instead of making it
> any easier to add more. Constraints are liberating. Innovation
> can be found in the minds of people, and the thought that
> there's always a new feature that can be added instead of an
> innovative solution within the existing language stifles
> creativity.

We should also think what's the purpose of D development, that is
what does it mean for D to be "successful".

Its adoption patterns in more than ten years let me think that
maybe D can't aim at becoming a very widely used language.

For a lot of time (15-20 years) Haskell has shown to seek for
other meanings of the word "success". And indeed the GHC Haskell
compiler contains many (I count 70) language extensions, some of
them are major features:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.2.1/html/users_guide/flag-reference.html#id639065

There is plenty of creativity in inventing, improving,
implementing and using such extensions too :-)

Bye,
bearophile