Travis CI - Continuous Integration Testing Server

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 14:47:01 PDT 2012

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I've recently got some experience of a project called Travis CI. As
> the title says it's a CI, Continuous Integration testing server for
> open source projects. They host all the building and testing, you
> just add a YAML configuration file and a github hook and then it can
> build and run your tests. It can also test pull requests.
>
> We already have somewhat similar setup for DMD and Phobos including
> pull requests. But this would be for everyone. I think it would be
> great if this was something that people start to use for their
> projects in the D community.
>
> This Travis started out as a build server for Ruby, where it's
> wildly used. Ruby on Rails among other projects are using it. It
> also supports other languages like C, C++, Scala, Go and many
> others. The only problem is that it doesn't support D and it only
> supports Linux. I already created an issue for adding support for D
> :
>
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/730
>
> Unfortunately I haven't got any answers yet. Maybe we can push this somehow.
>
> There's also an issue about supporting Windows and Mac OS X. It
> seems something might happen in this area pretty soon:
>
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/216#issuecomment-9781919
>
> https://travis-ci.org/
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci

I've been using cloudbees.com which offers a similar service based on
Jenkins.
Since Jenkins supports shell scripts to drive the build it was fairly
easy to support D (see https://gluey.ci.cloudbees.com/job/ddl/).

You can add your own systems for executing the builds (but I have never
done this myself).
I'm not sure whether pull requests are supported.
They have reduced prices for FOSS projects.
http://www.cloudbees.com/foss/index.cb

It's very nice to have automated and tested builds for free.

Jens