[RFC] ColorD

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:35:42 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 22:27:52 UTC, Jens Mueller wrote:
>> 5. setting the contents of the title bar
> The title bar of what?

Here's how you do it on xterm:

writefln("\033]0;%s\007", title);

On Windows it is an api function:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686050%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

>> 6. supporting cut/paste
>
> Don't know how to do this? Anybody a starting point?

I wouldn't worry about it up front, the system will give simple
stuff for you and getting it right is a bit of a pain because you
have to bring in other api calls (on both Windows and Linux;
linux will need some X11 calls I believe.)

>> 7. getting no-echo raw input
>
> Tried this but couldn't make it work yet. This is useful for
> passwords prompts, right?

Here's a brief example for unix:

http://arsdnet.net/dcode/input.d

On Windows I'm almost certain it is actually easier but I haven't
done that for a while and don't remember it right now.

The reason my code there puts it in a struct is so it is
automatically put back to the previous mode when you go out of
scope.

>> 8. setting the size of the cursor
> The size of the cursor? Why should I want to change its size?

There's a way to do this on  windows i'm pretty sure and it is
hit and miss on linux - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

But a reason you might want it is to visually indicate the
difference between insert and overwrite mode.

In a text editor for instance, a short cursor means insert. If
you press the insert key on the keyboard, you switch to replace
mode, and a taller cursor can show that.