Uri class and parser

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Oct 26 02:41:26 PDT 2012

On Friday, October 26, 2012 11:27:40 Jens Mueller wrote:
> Is it okay to have both modules and only state in std.uri's
> documentation that you shouldn't use it anymore (similar to std.xml)?
> This would break no code.

If we were to move it, we'd temporarily leave a near-empty std.uri which
publicly imported std.net.uri. At some later date, we'd then deprecate it, and
then later actually remove it. There's a definite cost to leaving such a module
around long term, because then you code floating around using both std.uri and
std.net.uri. We might try something like removing it from the documentation
instead of deprecating it (or at least delay that deprecation for a while),
but then you'd have code silently using it without its developers knowing that
they needed to change anything.

It can certainly be done, and there are things that can be done to mitigate
how quickly code is broken, but if you move it, code _will_ be broken at some
point, and if you leave what basically amounts to an alias around to it long
term, there's a definite cost to that as well.

Personally, I wouldn't be against putting std.uri through the deprecation path
and move it to std.net.uri, but I'm also almost certainly the person who has
broken the most of Phobos' API in an effort to make it consistent (something
which Walter has never been happy with). So, I'm not really in a position to
approve such a change. At this point, I think that something like that pretty
much has to go through Andrei.

- Jonathan M Davis