To avoid some linking errors

Brad Roberts braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com
Mon Oct 29 15:11:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 10/29/2012 1:19 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > There's another angle to this:
> >
> > 1) It's been stated more than once that one of the goals for D is to
> > achieve a user base of over 1 million users.
> >
> > 2) I assert that there aren't more than 1 million programmers with the
> > level of expertise and experience required to understand what happens
> > during compilation to a sufficient degree that they feel comfortable with
> > the tool chains that D (and c and c++) have today.
> >
> > Conclusion, the tool chains must get more user friendly.
>

> Stroustrup estimates "more than 3 million" C++ users in 2004.
>
> http://www.stroustrup.com/bs_faq.html#number-of-C++-users
>
> There are probably more than that many C users.

Think there's any chance that 1/3 of the existing c++ users are going to
switch to d?  In the next year?  Me neither.

The majority of D users are newish developers or developers w/out history
in the C style compilation model.  It's just foreign and the majority
aren't interested in having to learn about issues that the higher level
languages don't require.

It's friction.  It needs to be reduced.

I say all of the above having been essentially an member of the C style
compilation model, exclusively.