DMD on Haiku?

Isak Andersson IcePapih at lavabit.com
Mon Oct 29 16:27:06 PDT 2012

On Monday, 29 October 2012 at 22:57:41 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Isak Andersson wrote:
>
>> Hello D-folks!
>>
>> I was just wondering if it would be possible to make DMD build
>> out of the box
>> for Haiku (haiku-os.org) with the source from the official DMD
>> repo. Haiku is
>> pretty darn POSIX compliant so the actual porting isn't much
>> of a problem. DMD
>> has ran on Haiku before a while ago and shouldn't have any
>> problem doing it
>> now. From what I hear from the Haiku community it was just to
>> add a bunch of
>> ifeq Haiku and stuff to make it build and run fine.
>>
>> What I want though is to get these things in to the main
>> source of DMD,
>> applying patches and stuff like that is a pain, it is so much
>> better to just
>> be able to clone and build without problems. So what I wanted
>> to ask is: would
>> Digital Mars accept a pull request to make DMD build on Haiku
>> to their main
>> branch on Github? I just wanted to know for sure before I go
>> ahead and fork
>> DMD to do this.
>>
>> Cheers!
>
> Is someone in the haiku community willing to step up and keep
> it working?
> Contribute a box to run an auto-tester client?
>
> Unless the answers to both of the above are 'yes', then it's
> just about
> guaranteed to break again at some point.  IMHO, every platform
> that wants
> to be supported should meet that bar.

Well, I would say that I am pretty willing to do both those
things. At least if I have the knowledge to do it! I'm not a 100%
clear on what the second requirement means. Having a box running
24/7 that can run automated tests at any time? Or just running
the tests occationally (like once or twice a week or so, or even
just in time for every new DMD release)?