To avoid some linking errors

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 29 19:48:39 PDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 4:37 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:> On 10/29/12 6:13 PM, Walter
Bright wrote:
 >> On 10/29/2012 3:11 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
 >>> It's friction. It needs to be reduced.
 >>
 >> Short of building the linking code into dmd, the options are fairly
 >> limited.
 >
 > Why can't the linking code be built into dmd? I am baffled :o).

No need for :o), it's a fair question.

The linking process itself is pretty simple. The problems come from designers
who can't resist making things as complicated as possible. Just look at the
switches for the various linkers, and what they purport to do. Then, look at all
the complicated file formats it deals with:

res files
def files
linker script files
dwarf