DMD on Haiku?

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Mon Oct 29 22:41:10 PDT 2012

On 29-10-2012 23:36, Isak Andersson wrote:
> Hello D-folks!
>
> I was just wondering if it would be possible to make DMD build out of
> the box for Haiku (haiku-os.org) with the source from the official DMD
> repo. Haiku is pretty darn POSIX compliant so the actual porting isn't
> much of a problem. DMD has ran on Haiku before a while ago and shouldn't
> have any problem doing it now. From what I hear from the Haiku community
> it was just to add a bunch of ifeq Haiku and stuff to make it build and
> run fine.
>
> What I want though is to get these things in to the main source of DMD,
> applying patches and stuff like that is a pain, it is so much better to
> just be able to clone and build without problems. So what I wanted to
> ask is: would Digital Mars accept a pull request to make DMD build on
> Haiku to their main branch on Github? I just wanted to know for sure
> before I go ahead and fork DMD to do this.
>
> Cheers!

Do note that getting DMD, druntime, and phobos running on Haiku will
take a lot of porting work. To name a few things:

* All preprocessor #ifs in DMD for POSIX need to have Haiku added.
* In all likelihood, DMD's port wrapper needs updating for Haiku.
* druntime's POSIX headers all need to be updated for Haiku.
* Any Haiku-specific header modules need to be added to druntime.
* DMD, druntime, and phobos all need to be tested and debugged.
* Probably other things I forgot.

(This is all assuming Haiku is POSIX-compliant. If it isn't, it's going
to be even more work, since most of druntime has two code paths: One for
Windows and one for POSIX.)

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org