To avoid some linking errors

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Oct 30 01:51:34 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-30 02:58, Brad Roberts wrote:

> If someone wanted to take on an ambitious task, one of the key problems
> with output munging is the parseability of the output (which applies to
> the compiler, linker, etc.. all the compiler chain tools).  Few (none?) of
> them output text that's designed for parsability (though some make it
> relatively easy).  It would be interesting to design a structured format
> and write scripts to sit between the various components to handle adapting
> the output.
>
> Restated via an example:
>
> today:
>    compiler invokes tools and just passes on output
>
> ideal (_an_ ideal, don't nitpick):
>    compiler invokes tool which returns structured output and uses that
>
> intermediate that's likely easier to achieve:
>    compiler invokes script that invokes tool (passing args) and fixes
> output to match structured output

Even better, in my opinion: Both the linker and compiler is built as a
library. The compiler just calls a function from the linker library,
like any other function, to do the linking. The linker uses the
appropriate exception handling mechanism as any other function would. No
need for tools calling each other and parsing output data.

--
/Jacob Carlborg