To avoid some linking errors

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 30 07:46:21 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 09:51:34AM +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-10-30 02:58, Brad Roberts wrote:
[...]
> >today:
> >   compiler invokes tools and just passes on output
> >
> >ideal (_an_ ideal, don't nitpick):
> >   compiler invokes tool which returns structured output and uses that
> >
> >intermediate that's likely easier to achieve:
> >   compiler invokes script that invokes tool (passing args) and fixes
> >output to match structured output
>
> Even better, in my opinion: Both the linker and compiler is built
> as a library. The compiler just calls a function from the linker
> library, like any other function, to do the linking. The linker uses
> the appropriate exception handling mechanism as any other function
> would. No need for tools calling each other and parsing output data.
[...]

+1. This is 2012, we have developed the concept of libraries, why are we
still trying to parse output between two tools (compiler & linker) that
are so closely intertwined? Not the mention the advantages of having the
compiler and linker as a library: reusability in IDEs, adaptability to
*runtime* compilation, and a host of other powerful usages.

"A one-question geek test. If you get the joke, you're a geek: Seen on a California license plate on a VW Beetle: 'FEATURE'..." -- Joshua D. Wachs - Natural Intelligence, Inc.