Why D is annoying =P

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 30 07:54:38 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 08:57:01AM +0100, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
> >Where can I find an up-to-date language reference? What I'm
> >reading does not seem to be up to date or complete. For example, I
> >never saw mention of the "is" operator until now.
> >
> >--rt
>
> It's hard to find because it can not be overloaded.
>
> Look here: http://dlang.org/expression.html#IdentityExpression
> In TDPL it's explained as well.

Sigh, one of these days I'm gonna have to rewrite many of these pages.
I find them very hard to navigate and very unfriendly to newbies,
because very basic information (like what 'is' is) is buried deep in
long verbose infodumps of diverse language features, with no indication
at all which are fundamental concepts and which are just details. It's
virtually impossible to find what you're looking for unless you already
know what it is.

TDPL lays things out in a much saner fashion, but how many newbies
actually own the book? We need the online docs to be just as
newbie-friendly.

MSDOS = MicroSoft's Denial Of Service