Why D is annoying =P

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Tue Oct 30 09:09:13 PDT 2012

> Sigh, one of these days I'm gonna have to rewrite many of these
> pages.
> I find them very hard to navigate and very unfriendly to
> newbies,
> because very basic information (like what 'is' is) is buried
> deep in
> long verbose infodumps of diverse language features, with no
> indication
> at all which are fundamental concepts and which are just
> details. It's
> virtually impossible to find what you're looking for unless you
> already
> know what it is.
>
> TDPL lays things out in a much saner fashion, but how many
> newbies
> actually own the book? We need the online docs to be just as
> newbie-friendly.

I agree, that the online docs are insufficient for learning the
language.
But that's the case for phobos, too. Both are just a listings of
what is there and don't give you any overview of what design
decisions were made and what implications they have.

Just take a look std.container.

I hope that Ali Çehreli efforts will be midterm solution at
least for the language docs. Maybe he should credits by linking
from the homepage to his book.