Make [was Re: SCons and gdc]

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Tue Oct 30 12:08:01 PDT 2012

Rob T wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 October 2012 at 09:42:50 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> I would suggest you haven't given SCons long enough to get into the
>> SCons idioms, but you have to go with the route that is most comfortable
>> for you.
>
> You are right, I'll shut up and keep at it. I get frustrated sometimes,
> but that's no reason to vent in here. Sorry.
>
>> I do not see why you need to scan subfolders recursively. This is a
>> traditional Make approach. SCons does things differently even for highly
>> hierarchical systems. In particular use of SConscript files handles
>> everything. So I do not think this is a SCons problem.
>
> The only reason is to automate the construction of a list of source
> files for building. I'm used to using automated build scripts, which
> require only a minimal of manual input. For example, if I add a new
> source file to the mix, then I am expecting to not have to modify a
> SConstruct file to include it.
>
> I see mention of placing a SConsript file in each subdir, but that's a
> fair amount of manual overhead to bother with. so there must be another
> way?

	The following SConstruct will scan all subfolders of the current
folder for d sources and compile them into a "foo" program.

==============================8<------------------------------
import os
sources = []
for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in os.walk ("."):
    sources += [ os.path.join (dirpath, f)
                 for f in filenames
                 if f.endswith (".d") ]
Program ("foo", sources)