To avoid some linking errors

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 30 14:40:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 10/30/12 5:07 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > 1) Why did the compiler believe it would be?  If it didn't think it was a
> > valid usable symbol, it would have already errored at the call site during
> > semantic analysis.
>
> Not getting this at all. All I'm saying is that if the compiler says "I can't
> find that foo() you're asking for", the most interesting piece of information
> for me is "where did I ask for it?"

Ok, so it points to a place in the code where you used it.  You look at
that and say, yup, I did indeed use it.  Not surprising.  Now, why doesn't
the linker find it?  Why did the compiler believe it existed?

The site of the usage isn't remotely useful for answering either of those
questions and those are the ones that form the disconnect between the
compiler, who believed it existed and let the code pass to the next
stage), and the linker.