Imports with versions

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Oct 31 00:31:06 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-30 21:55, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> This cannot be enforced on runtime for most languages, that was why I
> was generalizing.
>
> For example C and C++ require the programmer to do this, somehow.

It's possible to change the path where a dynamic library is expected to
be located after the application/library is compiled. The package
manager can change this when installing a package.

> Java requires you bundled something like OSGi with your application.
>
> From the languages I have real project experience, only Groovy and .NET
> provide out of the box mechanisms for runtime validations given in the
> package manager.

It's one thing saying that your existing tools cannot handle this. It's
an entirely different thing saying it's not possible.

--
/Jacob Carlborg