handful and interval

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Sep 2 13:42:47 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 2 September 2012 at 15:09:50 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Le 02/09/2012 16:51, Jacob Carlborg a écrit :
>> I really don't like the name "handful". What would be the
>> difference
>> compared to a regular set container? To me it sounds like we
>> should have
>> a standard set container in Phobos, std.container.set.
>>

> +1, and we are back to the allocator design.

+2 on the basis of typical "real world" (if I may says so) usage.
It calls for a set container, both mutable and immutable.

For a "handful" of values (say 5 or less), I'm not even sure the
O(1) method is faster than the O(n) one.

As for the intervals, I suppose one would have to define open
intervals, because I think they would be much more useful than
closed ones when the intervals are contiguous (in particular with
floats/doubles).
One must be able to translate x0 <= x < x1 in intervals else they
are practically useless for anything else than integers and other
discrete values.