pointers, functions, and uniform call syntax

Maxim Fomin maxim at maxim-fomin.ru
Mon Sep 3 10:28:03 PDT 2012

On Monday, 3 September 2012 at 12:12:46 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> I was playing around with a very big struct, and told myself I
> wanted it allocated on the heap. This meant I was now
> manipulating S* instead of an S.

I answered this question in BZ couple of days ago in an issue
8603 which was filed after discussion about references in NG.
Short answer: the equivalence of accessing members through
pointers and values doesn't lead to equivalence of pointers and
values in function parameters and one of possible problems is
implicit dereference of pointers.