D and SCons

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Sep 4 01:06:56 PDT 2012

Chris, (and T),

> I'm using Scons for a couple of toy D projects. What's the best channel
> for feedback/bug reports?

Thanks for getting back to me. The reasons for calling for the attention
of people using SCons for D building is because I think I need to change
the way the D tools are developed for SCons.  Currently the idea is to
have a separate package so that people can just have the working D tools
with their current version of SCons. However since D can be linked with
C and C++ (also Fortran?) I am more and more thinking that D should be
made a real peer to C, C++ and Fortran in SCons, which means working in
the SCons core codebase. This allows for D in the smart linking bits of
SCons. This isn't absolutely necessary, which leads to choice and hence
doubt about way forward.

What is comes down to is whether people testing the evolution of D
tooling would be happy to work with a fork of SCons or whether it is
necessary to work with a separate package and a distributed SCons.

Thanks.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk