D-etractions A real world programmers view on D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 4 22:55:33 PDT 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:18:41 +0200
Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2012-09-04 15:59, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >
> > This, of course, all comes from two guys who really like static
> > typing :)  We *may* have a biased view.

I like to think it's the other way around: I like static typing
*because* it's better ;)

> I can tell you this, I've wished many times that I had static typing
> in Ruby. I've also wished quite many times I had dynamic typing in D.
> I think optional static typing, like Dart, sounds like a good idea.

I don't know if maybe my experience is different from usual, but
personally, I haven't *ever* wished I had dynamic typing in D.
Templates and (on rare occasion) variants have always been perfectly
sufficient (and even preferable) in any cases I've ever had.