D-etractions A real world programmers view on D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 4 23:17:23 PDT 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 22:44:07 +0200
"SomeDude" <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote:

> The only experience I've had with dynamic typing (in Python), I
> can say I hated it. I prefer to write Java code, which I think
> tells a lot about my love for dynamic typing.

Wow, now *that's* hard-core static typing fan :)

Languages like ActionScript 2 and PHP (ie, the worst of the dynamic
bunch - or at least I *hope*) have conditioned me to develop a severe
allergic reaction to any and all dynamic typing. But if my only static
choice were Java, I think it's very possible I'd end up a dynamic guy
(but with something more sensible than AS2 or PHP, of course).
Dynamic has major flaws IMO, but Java's a pedantic rubber-coated pain.

But I can still relate, though. As much as I hate C++ (How much? This
much:
<https://semitwist.com/articles/article/view/top-d-features-i-miss-in-c>),
I'm actually still *happier* using C++ on my current "real world"
project than I was with the dynamic languages I've used in other
projects. C++ sucks, but as long I stick mainly to "C with classes",
I find it more manageable than dynamic weirdness. (But I grew up with
C/C++, so that probably does help me tolerate it.)

> Unless you are
> working in an environment which changes all the time, so that you
> need to adapt your code very quickly, dynamic languages are a
> waste of time above ~10,000 lines of code in my opinion.

Personally, I'd knock a zero or two off that figure.