D-etractions A real world programmers view on D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Sep 5 00:14:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:39:37 +0200
Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2012-09-05 08:17, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
> > Wow, now *that's* hard-core static typing fan :)
> >
> > Languages like ActionScript 2 and PHP (ie, the worst of the dynamic
> > bunch - or at least I *hope*) have conditioned me to develop a
> > severe allergic reaction to any and all dynamic typing. But if my
> > only static choice were Java, I think it's very possible I'd end up
> > a dynamic guy (but with something more sensible than AS2 or PHP, of
> > course). Dynamic has major flaws IMO, but Java's a pedantic
> > rubber-coated pain.
>
> ActionScript and PHP are probably two of the worst languages. Ruby is
> way better.

Totally agree. Although the odd thing with Ruby though is any time
I use it I feel like I have no idea what's *really* going on. Maybe
it's the lax parsing rules, or maybe I just need to learn it better, I
dunno. But yea, I'll agree AS2/PHP are to dynamic typing what C++/Java
are to static typing: Bad examples ;)