Would like to see ref and out required for function calls

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Sep 12 00:36:47 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 at 16:49:45 UTC, Manuel wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 at 08:10:21 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Visual Studio 2012 RC and can confirm, that ref and out
>>> are still required even with C# 5.0 (but maybe there is some
>>> compiler switch to disable this ??)
>>
>> Erik Meijer didn't get back to me yet about that with a link,
>> but he did mention that the relaxation was only allowed for
>> COM calls.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> OK, i see. For COM calls that might make sense, since binary
> COM modules are mostly written in C/C++ and must also not
> depend on any feature of any programming language so that the
> calling should be easily possible from any language. There
> these C# specific annotations are of no use since you don't get
> any additional safety and you just have to write more code
> which at the end gains you nothing.
>

> In general, i can understand the objections against adding
> these syntax annotations at the call site. When i started
> programming in C#, coming from a C++ background, i found
> writing these additional annotations rendundant and annoying
> and a complete waste of time.

Having used Turbo Pascal before I was doing C, I never understood
why so many developers cry for this at the call site.

I never had any problem with "var" parameters on Turbo Pascal (or
other languages from Wirth), nor with references in C++.

As I am not language religious, I just use them the way the
language provides them.

--
Paulo