Would like to see ref and out required for function calls

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:37:21 PDT 2012

Minas wrote:
> Anyway, who needs to see f(ref x) when you can put your mouse
> above the function call and see its declaration? All modern
> IDEs support that - and I don't think C# guys use plain text
> editors.

People debugging large bodies of code should not be required to
hover the mouse over each and every function parameter for a
second to properly understand structure. People using non-tooltip
text editors have an even harder time.

I think you're missing the point. This code:

     int* x;
     foo(&x);

at least tells you there's a _potential_ x is being manipulated
rather than just used. We don't need full insight into what's
going on, just a helpful hint which narrows the potential
culprits when debugging.

If fact, it would nice if even reference types where required to
follow similar "is modified in function" semantics, and I have
ideas about that, but I'm not going there right now...