[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Sep 17 15:08:14 PDT 2012

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:18:51 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 03:57:41PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 00:16:26 -0700
> > Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > The search results seem to be identical whether you search for D
> > > or :D, so the colon seems to be ignored.
> > >

> > Yea, google pathologically ignores anything that isn't strictly
> > alphanumeric, even when you enclose in quotes. Fucking annoying as
> > hell. Especially when you're trying to find something about C++ and
> > the damn thing comes back with a bunch of C# results. That's a real
> > obnoxious trend in computing: Software doing whatever the hell it
> > feels like (usually under the guise of "being helpful") instead of
> > doing what it's fucking told.
> [...]
>
> Any time you hear "smart" and "software" in the same sentence, be
> prepared for something dumb.

Heh, I actually say pretty much the same thing myself very often.
Couldn't agree more. If you were around me in person, you'd frequently
hear "I hate when (devices|programs) try to be smart."  Smart(.*) is
a red flag for "badly designed" or "unreliable".

That's actually been an even bigger thing with me lately than ever
before since, because of work, I have a call phone for the first time
now - two actually, an iPhone and an Android - and I absolutely *HATE*
both the damn things (with the iPhone being slightly worse).
*Everything* about them is just wrong, backwards, idiotic. They
even managed to take something as trivial to get right as volume
controls and *completely* fuck it up in every imaginable way. And of
course, Android aped Apple's idiotic lead on that, as usual.

Damn I miss pay phones: I spent less than $5/year on those. Try finding
a cell plan that even remotely compares to that. Or one with buttons
that are actually usable. Or any fucking buttons at all, for that
matter. Meh, now I'm *really* rambling though... ;)