[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com
Tue Sep 18 03:10:00 PDT 2012

On 18/09/12 09:29, Walter Bright wrote:
> I suppose I have a more pragmatic view, due to my background in
> non-computer engineering.
>
>      It's all like that.
>
> There are a couple of good reasons for that.
>
> 1. Not every engineer is a rock star. In fact, very few of them are. I
> tend to snicker at companies that insist they only hire the top 1%. It
> seems that about 90% of the engineers out there must be in that top 1% <g>.
>
> 2. It costs too much money to do perfect engineering. You wouldn't be
> able to afford those products. Do you have $10,000 to spend on a tablet?

> Software is a lot better, too. It really is.

I don't think that's true, except in terms of the range of functionality.

The interesting thing is if you compare computer hardware from 1985 with
hardware from today. It is dramatically better, in every respect,
without exception.

But that isn't true of software. Tex is ancient, and yet it's not easy
to find *any* recent software of similar quality.

When I was a kid, I muse to make games and save them on cassette tapes.
The tapes failed pretty often, so that my work was lost.

Last week, my kids made some games using online Flash/JS-based websites.
Due to bugs in those websites, sometimes when they go to save, their
work is lost. I find that appalling.