[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Sep 18 08:20:04 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 02:57:08AM -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 05:16:53 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 01:10:07 -0700
> >
> > Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I upgraded to a 6 core 64 bit machine. It really does improve the
> > > usability of my computer.
> >
> > I avoid bloatware, so extra silicon doesn't do nearly as much for
> > me.
>
> It all depends on what you're doing. Today's machines are overpowered
> for many common tasks, but for some stuff you can _always_ use more
> CPU (e.g. transcoding video).
[...]

Yeah, I run povray on complicated auto-generated math models quite a
lot, and my recent upgrade to an AMD hexacore made a huge difference.
It's the primary reason I upgraded my 10-year-old AMD Barton system.
This was a couple o' years ago, and I'm planning to run this system for
at least another decade before I upgrade again (I hate the upgrade
cycle).

OTOH, my primary window manager is ratpoison, so it's not like the
hexacore makes any noticeable difference at all on that front, though
GUI-dependent people might find hexacore desirable 'cos then they can
turn on all the eye-candy in Compiz and still have the system work
without lagging.  (I used to have a Compiz installation purely for
showing off and for Linux propaganda purposes, but it fell into disuse
and nowadays I just don't bother.)

Once bitten, twice cry...